Thursday, May 9, 2013

One day at a time!

Ain't that the way it goes?  Just when ya start a blog about eating clean...you have a dang dinner to attend for work and you're tired down to your ankle bones and yes, let's just say it, you have PMS.
Lord have mercy!
So Tuesday night I went to the work dinner, ate the raw veggies and fruit because I didn't know what was in the hot entrees and no one could seem to tell me.  I came home and the Mr. had picked up burgers but thankfully, there's a great new organic burger joint down the street!  So we were able to indulge without getting dirty ;)
Wednesday night is my late night at work and we indulged dirty.  Insert sad face.  Not really, it's ok.  It's a goal, a lifestyle but not a means by which to find myself failing.  We got take out ribs which is ok but the place uses BBQ sauce that contains preservatives.  But I did get up on Wednesday morning to make steel cut oats with diced apples for breakfast. So good for me I say!
Today I've got the Thursday night tireds.  We had some meals planned for Tuesday and Wednesday that didn't get done so I took the perishables intended for other dishes and added them to our menu for tonight.  It's in the oven now and smelling purty good! 

Today's news:

  • Breakfast:  Greek yogurt with blueberries and granola, coffee
  • Lunch:  Campbell's soup (not whole, just convenient for a lazy nurse) 
  • Snack:  Nectarine & apple.
  • Dinner: Unstuffed green peppers.  I prepped the peppers on Monday and they are too floppy by now to really stuff so I cut them open and lined the bottom of a 9x11 dish with the peppers.  Next, I layered the brown rice I had cooked in bulk on Monday.  Then I combined equal portions ground sirloin and ground turkey, diced green pepper (remnants of prepped bell peppers,) onion, garlic, salt, pepper & oregano and onion.  When that was cooked and soft, I dumped in fresh mushrooms intended for another dish I didn't make yesterday.  Once that was all done, I drained it and added tomato sauce and canned fire roasted red peppers.  I took a second can of the peppers and puree'd them to add to the sauce.  After simmering for 15 minutes, that was added as the final layer to my unstuffed bell peppers and into the oven covered with foil.  For the last few minutes, I'll take off the foil and sprinkle Parmesan cheese.  The Mr. is making the salad.  Perfectly balanced dinner-protein/complex carb/veggie!  Update:  If you don't like ground turkey, substitute all ground beef.  I tried the turkey (which I usually hate) and I hated it, literally threw it down the garbage disposal.  Otherwise, it would've been good!
  • Snack:  *Maybe* fresh fruit smoothies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment