Friday, May 17, 2013

Infused water

<---See this?  I have this very pitcher!  Jay picked it up for me at Bed, Bath and Beyond with their handy dandy 20% off coupon.  I lurv it.  I started making infused water a few weeks ago among my clean eating experiments.  I love infused water and I wonder how I've lived without it! 
You don't need an infusion pitcher, by the way.  But it sure is fun!  Any pitcher with a strainer top will do or you can just fish the fruit out with a slotted spoon.  It ain't rocket surgery.
I like to keep fresh ginger root on hand and put a few thinly sliced "coins" into my infusion mix.  Ginger is a pretty strong flavor so skip that if you aren't a fan and don't over do it either way or you'll get a very spicy tone to your water.  Ginger is great for digestion so for me, it's been awesome.  I have been off my ulcer meds for two weeks! 
You can infuse your water for as long as you like, I leave it in the water through 2 or 3 refills of the pitcher.  We finish one pitcher every day or so.  I wouldn't reuse the fruit for longer than 5 days or so or it might get a little funky. 
Some combinations we've used?  Cucumber/cantaloupe.  Blueberry/orange/grapefruit. Apple/orange Lemon/lime/grapefruit.  I'll keep this short by saying any and all citrus combinations.  Obviously sweeter fruit-sweeter water.  More lemony and lime-more sour. 
And now, let us have a TMI (too much information) moment.  One of my sons has always poo-pooed (hahahaha) the idea of detox diets.  He reports that when he drinks the infused water, he is definitely..."detoxing" and when he drinks the ginger infused water he "detoxes" 15 times a day. 
I have found that the water needs to infuse for at least four hours and it is best over night.  After that, it just gets more flavorful.  Daboyz and I have replaced fruit juice with it.
I found a web site I really like and it's very pretty as a bonus!
http://infusedwaters.com/
Around here, folks aren't big fans of cucumber water so I make that in a mason jar just for me. 
This is an idea that you really don't have to invest much in to see if it will work for you.  If it does, you might eliminate artificial sweeteners or refined sugar from your beverages. 
Try it and if you do, share your recipes and your opinions!

No comments:

Post a Comment