Sunday, May 12, 2013

Hosting guests in a clean-eating home~Mother's Day

I hadn't intended to post today but a thought occurred to me & if you're out there, I'm curious.  If you're clean eating, do you carry that philosophy through when you're entertaining?  Do you "make" others eat the same way when they are in your home?
Many years ago, my parents were invited to the home of friends for dinner.  The husband of the household had some cardiac health concerns and his dutiful wife had him on a strict cardiac diet.  No fat, no salt, no sugar.  And good on her for her efforts!  But when the dinner guests arrived, they were served the same strict cardiac menu, there was no salt in the house
Which side of the healthy eating line do you fall on?  Do you say that people in your home will eat the way you eat or do you relax a bit?
I'm thinking about this on Mother's Day because we're having the family over for lunch, flat bread pizzas.  I won't keep you in suspenders (as my grampa would say,)  I don't make my guests eat clean.  When I can easily trade out fresh and whole for processed, I do so.  For instance, I made the pizza sauce instead of buying prepackaged.  This creates a fresh and more delicious version of pizza sauce.  But I won't be serving whole wheat molasses cake.  Unless everyone was on the clean eating program with us, I wouldn't expect them to forgo something they enjoy (and so do I!) because they are guests in my home.  Same with beverages.  We drink infused water, plain water or iced green tea with agave. Today I'm serving old fashioned southern sweet tea or lemonade with Splenda. We also have a few 2 liters of pop.  My dad's diabetic and drinks diet beverages and the Agave sweetened tea is not the same as its refined sugar sister for those who use refined sugar.  I'll offer everything and if, at the end of the day, the clean stuff is enjoyed and the "dirty" stuff isn't used, maybe I'll change my menu next time.  But I won't force my diet on others, nor preach at them. 
So what do you think?
Is it a matter of your guests eating the way you eat in your house?
Perhaps you feel it's your responsibility to maintain healthful standards when others eat at your table?
Or do you plan your menu with your guests in mind and offer goodies that normally wouldn't be found in your kitchen?
And if you do offer those refined or processed treats, do you indulge yourself?

1 comment:

  1. Good subject. I have a few different ideas here. We live in a world that has lots of 'dirty' food .. and I strive to personally eat 90% of my own diet 'clean' ... When family eat over I usually make a dessert using a smidge of white (cane) sugar .. such as a pie from filling I made/froze in season (apple, peach or berry). Or, perhaps, homemade brownies. The thing I won't do is buy boxed desserts or store bought ice cream. Our food is made from scratch usually .. again .. no boxed stuff .. I'll pull canned baked beans from my pantry that I make .. If the Mr. pulls a fast one on me and invites all the kiddos over for dinner on the spur of the moment .. and I haven't enough food .. I'll send HIM to the store for a bucket of baked chicken. If you follow your clean eating diet the majority of the time and don't slip back into the convenience of using 'helpers' .. then you are living and being graceful .. as opposed to making the whole world suffer if they're not on the same 'page' as you.

    ReplyDelete