Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Use 'em up!

Mac did a week's juice fast for which he over-bought.  Add that to our overflowing (aren't we blessed?) fruit and veggie stock, things were getting a little overwhelming around here!  When Saturday came around, the Mr. didn't need to buy quite as much but I certainly needed to figure out a way to use some items that weren't going to make it for another week.  I hate hate hate throwing away food!
So I took a handful of left-over basil and oregano, threw in some olive oil and garlic and made pesto.
Peeled some maters, added leftover cilantro, garlic (of course!) sea salt, cumin and blended it into the bit of left over salsa from last week.
Pureed the bananas that were browning.
All three were put into Ziploc freezer bags and into the freezer they went for future use!  And I went happily on my way without throwing away a single item.  The pesto and salsa can be used for dipping, topping or souping.  The banana puree will come in handy for baking, smoothies, milkshakes or stirring into oatmeal.  I didn't have large amounts of anything but they will still all go to good use down the road and will be dollars not spent nor wasted in the long run. 
How do you repurpose your food items?  I dare you to figure out a way to throw nothing away next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment