Friday, June 7, 2013

Staying the course~

Can you believe it's been about two months since we started this journey?  Two easy months at that.  The only thing that interferes with good choices for us is convenience, you know those days everyone works late and nobody wants to cook.  In fact, we had a little mini meeting about it last week.  Every Wednesday we go out to eat and last week the Mr. brought home Mexican from a local family restaurant.  It's all very fresh and I wasn't too concerned that we were too far off track.  But on Thursday we had planned to grill chicken, I got stuck at work and he was feeling worn out from ten hours in a hot factory.  He picked up take out ribs.  Could be worse, certainly, but still not a good trend for the week. 
We talked about remembering when we are grilling chicken, to grill  ALOT for the freezer for those worn out nights.  The salad supplies are all cleaned and prepped, ready for assembly.  Had we prepared our chicken ahead, we could've had grilled chicken salads with about ten minutes of work.  The ribs may not have been the worst thing ever, but grilled chicken salad would've been miles better. 
I'm happy to report that when I got home last Friday evening, Dean had dinner waiting (he's off on Fridays.)  Grilled chicken, fresh corn on the cob and salad.  And it was wonderful. 
My parents blessed us with a freezer for the basement as they were getting a new one and just in time for our clean-eating!  That will make the plan and prep ahead so much easier for us.  I am thinking we'll store the bulk of our supplies in the basement and lots of "ready to use" stuff in the kitchen freezer; like pre-grilled chicken, frozen fresh sauces and vegetables, frozen fruit, etc.  It's actually a lot of fun (really it is!) to discover another method to utilize our resources even better.  It has me thinking of future plans, like taking a week off in the Autumn to can.  I won't be able to do it this year, I took a medical leave in January that chewed up a lot of vacation time.  But I can still look forward and just think how much more we'll know in a year's time. 
I'm also so so so happy and thankful because I feel that more than anything, the Lord is giving us wise hearts.  And by us, I mean all of use, daboyz included.  I am getting absolutely no arguments or push-back.  At the start, I asked that we honor clean-eating principles in our home and any "cheats" should happen outside the house, every man for himself.  I expected lots of drive-through moments for the Mr.  But that doesn't seem to be happening!  We took the no fast food step a month ago and since then, he hasn't indulged in what was his favorite guilty pleasure.  AND, he is regularly talking about taking things we formerly ate and making them clean and whole.  He looks up recipes and reads labels and is starting to approach this as a way of life.  This week he was figuring out how to make tater salad without Miracle Whip!  Glory be!  Yes, I know that it isn't really the most difficult thing to accomplish but it means he is taking this seriously. 
We go on vacation in a month and after we return, I believe we'll take the next important step of really cutting back for the sake of healthy weight loss.  And I believe that when it's time to take that step, we'll be ready.

1 comment:

  1. Have Dean call me and I'll walk him through making homemade mayo for that tater salad! Good to see your family is on board ..

    ReplyDelete