Saturday, June 8, 2013

Northern Beans +_____________=Soup

It's no secret, I am a big believer in soup.  As my gramma used to say, "I have a soup tooth."  Sometimes I buy ingredients for a specific soup and sometimes I take what's at hand and make soup out of it.  Clean food=clean soup!  So, using some left over vegetables that I didn't want to go bad and a big jar of Northern beans...here's some soup!

Ingredients
  • Large jar Northern beans
  • 3 stalks celery cut up
  • 3 carrots cut up
  • 3 potatoes cut up
  • 1 yellow onion cut up
  • Parsley (dry or fresh)
  • Large can sodium free/preservative free chicken broth
  • Seasonings to taste-salt, pepper, garlic for me (the usual.)

Technique
  • Place all cut veggies into pot, cover in broth & bring to boil
  • Reduce to low/simmer and cook until veggies are soft
  • Add Northern beans, parsley & seasoning
  • Cover with additional broth or water
  • Simmer about 1/2 hour
  • Enjoy!

Tips
  • Tastes better after a day or two
  • I divided it into Rubbermaid bowls for lunch at work
  • The veggies choices aren't strict, use whatever you need to get rid of
  • If you have celery "tops," use 'em in soup!
  • You can serve this for dinner with crusty bread and a salad
Remember the goal for meals?  Complex carb + protein?  This soup does the trick in once bowl...

Carrots, celery, beans = complex carb  & beans=protein.



1 comment:

  1. I think the peasants had it right all along! It's very 'freeing' to make soup without a recipe .. from leftovers .. but I hope your soup weather is short lived .. time for summer eating ;)

    ReplyDelete