Monday, June 10, 2013

Mama Sara's $3 Sandwich

I told you that I used my leftovers to make pesto, right?  Well, it wasn't much pesto, maybe a quarter of a cup so I used it to make "Italian grilled cheese" sandwiches.  Dean declared I could make a fortune selling them, Mac felt that was an exaggeration but that I could "get $3 each for sure."  Here I offer you the opportunity to take advantage of the secret recipe before the copyright becomes official,  she said sarcastically.

Ingredients
  • Whole grain bread
  • Butter
  • Feta Cheese
  • Mozzarella
  • Tomato
  • Pesto (basil, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, garlic-blend or puree together)

Technique
  • Butter ONE side (the Mr. butters both, oy!) of bread and lay in skillet, butter side down, to begin browning over medium heat
  • Carefully spread mozzarella on bread
  • Add tomato slice
  • Add a tablespoon or so of pesto, spread
  • Sprinkle on feta to cover
  • Butter ONE side of second piece of bread and lay it on top, butter side up
  • When first slice of bread is browned and mozzarella is melted, carefully flip and brown second side until feta is melted
  • Serve with a bit of pesto on the side for dipping if you have enough!

I should've take a picture but I had no idea it would be such a hit!  I was just using up the stuff in the fridge!  If you believe him, Dean claims this grilled cheese has replaced his lifelong favorite of American cheese on Wonder bread (ugh!)  In fact, he has been know to make the processed nightmare for himself when I've made Colby grilled cheese on bakery bread. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my .. this sounds so delish .. and I'm extra glad to have planted a gazillion basil seeds this spring! You know .. if you have a gazillion seeds and grow and equivalent number of plants .. you can make enough pesto to pack into your newly acquired freezer in small jars .. enough to warm your spirits even during the dark days of winter in the Mitten.

    ReplyDelete